Thursday, November 4, 2010

My First Teaching Stint...

Well, not really, lol.  I am a physician after all, and that was nine-tenths of my job as a physician was to teach people...what to do, what not to do, how to take their medicine, how to give medicine to their kids, etc, etc, etc.

Plus, I'm a mom, and that's ten-tenths of that job...what to do, what to say, what NOT to do or say, lol.

Plus, I'm a HOMESCHOOL mom!  lol

Anyway, I digress.

I should say, my first quilt teaching stint.

Last night was the final night of the beginner's quilting class that I taught, and we had a blast!

Remember this?


Well, I gave the class participants a lot of freedom as to their interpretation of the wall hanging/table topper and here's what they came up with.

My best friend took the class, and here's how hers turned out...


She has a domestic machine on a Grace frame, and here is a close-up of the quilting she did on her wall hanging.


Next, I had another lady who had not quilted before.  She did a GREAT job!  And, I think I infected her with the Quilt Pox...Oops!


This quilt was made by a lady who had never even sewed at all before the class!  (Another possible Quilt Pox infection.  Double OOPS!)


She came with her sister who is a professional long arm quilter, so here is the quilting her sister did...we all thought it was cheating, he he he...but all's fair in love and war...and quilting.


Here sister also has an embroidery machine, and made her a special label for her quilt.



And here's the quilt done by the lady with the most quilting experience in the class (the pro!).


Of course, the quilting on hers was INCREDIBLE as well!


There were a few other ladies in the class, but we had to postpone last week because of the blizzard and they weren't able to make it last night, so I'm bummed about that, but all in all, it was a great experience for me (and I hope for the class participants) and it was a fulfillment of one of my goals for the year!

The ladies in the class really seemed to click, and we're thinking of starting a Block of the Month group after the holidays.

Don't forget to enter my giveaway!  Today is my Blogiversary!!!!  WooHoo!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Tamera,
I just loved all of the quilts of your students!!!! You ARE such a wonderful teacher and inspirer! Were those pumpkins that the expert quilted into hers?
I'd like to enter your contest because I know that I'll never be able to create such lovely works of art as you do. However, I feel selfish to do so as I already am the proud owner of one of your quilts. Did I tell you that I took it up to my office and use it for my clients now that it's getting colder?
I decided, then, not to put in all 4 of my chances to win as I'd love someone else to have the privilage of owning one of your wonderful quilts. However, I want you to know how much I admire your work and I am SOOOOOOOOOO glad that you are teaching others how to carry on this old-time skill. BRAVO!!!!!!!!!!!
Dawn

QuiltSue said...

Your students did some work they should be proud of, and so should you for starting them down the road of quilt obsession.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Pin It

Follow Me on Pinterest