Monday, November 8, 2010

Design Wall Monday, November 8

On my design wall (cutting mat) is a strip set that I made last night.


See how it's bowed to the right?

I just finished the Heirloom Quilting class with Harriet Hargrave this weekend and it inspired me to work through her Quilter's Academy book.  This is one of the first exercises.

I used a fat quarter, so I wasn't able to straighten the grain of the fabric like she recommends, so when I pressed it and starched it that is what happened.

If you'd like to read more about it, you can visit here for more information.

Make sure that you visit Judy's blog to find out what everyone else is up to this week.

9 comments:

Chris said...

I sometimes get the bow when I sew jelly roll strips. :-/ Thanks for the link.

Kathie said...

sounds like you are going to have fun with that book

Bonnie said...

do you prewash your fabrics? just wondering if one might have shrunk also. But, not sure why both sides didn't bow if you do preshrink... curious.

love the colors though.

Quilter Kathy said...

That sounds like a "must have" book!

Cathy said...

My strips bowlke that sometimes,too. I have a straight line drawn down the centre of my ironing board. After pressing my strips open, I align one edge with the striaght line, and press again, and no more bowed strip.

AnnieO said...

Bowed strip sets are really annoying! I tend to have a heavy hand with the iron and get that sometimes too. Pretty fabrics tho!

Denise :) said...

I love your pink fabric -- what fun! Even if it is a little frustrating! :)

Amy said...

I have this book but have yet to work through the projects. Good for you for getting started.

Anonymous said...

Good Luck working through the book... sounds really interesting and probably a good exercise and refresher for all of us! ...Karen

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Pin It

Follow Me on Pinterest