Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Quilter's Accountability Report - September 29

Well, here are my goals from last week.

  1. Finish quilting the 1930s quilt - finished
  2. Bind the 1930s quilt - didn't get done
  3. Finish getting ready for class - mostly done...I have the last example to bind today and I have to cut some 1 1/2" strips
  4. Maybe get a Twister quilt started - not done
I did pretty well.

This week, my goals are:

  1. Get the 1930s quilt bound
  2. Finish quilting the guild quilt
  3. Finish a donation quilt with the blocks from class (depending on how many get done)
  4. Make sure I'm ready for the second class

Today, I have to make a mad dash to a "nearby" town (26 miles) to drop off my bobbin and casing for my Janome.  It's in the shop in Bismarck (60 miles away) but I forgot that I had taken out the bobbin casing and the bobbin and they don't have another machine in house, so they can't really do anything with it until they get the casing.

Also, while the girls are doing school, I need to get the 3rd class example bound and then cut some strips.

You know that exercise where you sew three 1 1/2" strips together, press them and then measure and they should measure exactly 3 1/2"?  I'm going to do that with them to help them with their 1/4" seams.  Then, I'll gather them all up and sew them together and have a good start on a new donation quilt, lol.

I also thought it might be a good thing to help them with the concept of  light/medium/dark as well.  I could talk to them about value and then have them pick out a light, medium, and dark strip for each block they sew.

So, I have a question for you.

I don't have any idea about how much experience these ladies have had and I don't want to overwhelm them with choices.  The way this is going to work is that I have the blocks already cut out for them and they'll need to have three or four blocks for their quilt.  Should I let them choose, or just hand them out and let them trade if they don't get what they want?

I guess my question is, should I just tell them everything to do, or should I just give them choices along the way?  I already have  three different layouts that they can choose from.

Hope you have a quilty day.  Make sure you head over to Bari's blog to see what everyone else has planned for this week.  Set some goals of your own and play along with us!

    3 comments:

    Calicojoan said...

    You are one of my recipients of the "Sunshine Award". You can check out my blog on Wed 9-27 to read more about it! Thanks for being so great!

    Alycia said...

    Looks you you have a lot on your quilting plate *grin* As far as your class, are you giving them all the blocks for the project? or just one block to sample? If its all the blocks I would let them choose. It ifs just one, I would hand them out. Does that even help or make it worse? LOL

    Anonymous said...

    I vote with Alycia on the blocks for the class.

    You are one busy lady! Wow! You got a lot done this week.I don't know how you do it.

    Keep it up. Sounds like attainable goals this week. Are you enjoying teaching?

    Take care!

    Bari

    LinkWithin

    Related Posts with Thumbnails

    Pin It

    Follow Me on Pinterest