Thursday, August 19, 2010

Repurposing Triangles

I was searching around for something mindless to do this morning and I found the left over triangles from Mariah's quilt.


So, I decided to cut them down into a half square triangle unit.

I lay the long edge on the 45° angle of my square ruler.



The triangles turned out slightly different sizes, so I measured the largest one and it was 6½" (on the short side of the triangles), so I cut 6½" white squares and then cut them in half.

These, I took to the sewing machine and folded a white and colored triangle in half and made a crease.



I then pinned the creases together.  That way, it didn't matter if the white triangle was larger than the colored triangle.  [Note:  Be very careful when sewing/handling these units.  The edges are very stretchy.  This is one of the places where I'm really glad I have a stiletto.  It keeps me from having to manipulate the edges very much.]


I sewed them together, pressed them, and trimmed them.


I took two of the half square triangle units and place them right sides together with the colored half across from the white half and vice versa.  I lined the seams up perfectly so everything lays flat.


I cut the units in half and sewed them together.


When I finished, I had two perfect hour glass units (aka quarter square triangles).

I trimmed mine to ½" increments so I could use them in scrap quilts.

A perfect way to spend a cloudy day.

Hope you're having a quilty day!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Pin It

Follow Me on Pinterest