Friday, June 8, 2012

So...What Do You Do For a Living?

I spend a couple of days this week in an online marketing class.

I've never really been to a business class, but now I have my own business, so I need to learn how to market it.

Being a quilter located in the middle of farmland in rural North Dakota has many benefits...but...it is in the middle of nowhere, lol.

One of the exercises we were encouraged to do was the Elevator Pitch..."sell my idea, business, product or service in 30 seconds or less (the time it takes to go from the first floor to the top of a building in an elevator)."
(Actually, there are very few buildings in North Dakota with more than one or two floors, but you get the idea, lol.)
So, I got to thinking. What is it I actually do for a living?

Well, first of all, I'm a wife and a mother.

Secondly, I homeschool my kids.

Thirdly...well...I just started a quilting business. It's not a long-arm quilting business. Some people do understand that when you say it. My quilting machine is an in-table machine. And, I don't know exactly what to call it.

Anyway, I guess I need to do some work on my Elevator Pitch.

I have been busy otherwise.

I finished a couple of customer quilts the last few days.

This one is the first quilt of one of the beginner quilters I've had the privilege of teaching.



This one is the second quilt of her granddaughter, who is one of my 4-H members!



Here's a close-up of the quilting I did on the Rail Fence Quilt.


I did a swirl in the border.


And Kari embroidered Madison's name on the back.


It turned out cute!

One last photo...

Here are the goats relaxing in the shade. They're so silly!


Hope you're having a quilty day!

2 comments:

Sara said...

I do staff development for schools for the past 10 years. Before that I was a high school teacher. And I am a wife, mom, and grandma.

Amanda said...

I'd just say that you quilt quilts for customers...and if you need details talk about what you put on the quilts. I think most people you met in an elevator would get more out of that.

Just my two cents...it was the first thing I thought when I read how you were describing your quilting business. Good luck!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Pin It

Follow Me on Pinterest