Monday, June 25, 2012

Independence

One of the decisions that my hubby and I have made as parents is to raise our kiddos with lots of responsibility at a young age. (My 12 yo, Olivia, is raking with her dad as I write this.)

We wanted our kids to learn to do daily tasks so that they will be prepared for living on their own.

But, there is a downside.

How do you decide when a kid is ready to tackle certain tasks?

Meet Sophia.



She's my ten year old and part of her responsibilities is kitchen duty every other day (she switches off with her older sister). Part of kitchen duties is cooking.

Meet Sophia's burn. WARNING!!!! Icky picture ahead.



She sustained this burn on her right leg when she was transferring cooked noodles from the stove to the sink to drain them.

So, I feel bad that she has a burn that hurts. It's healing well, but partial thickness burns are very painful.

And, it makes me wonder if she has too much responsibility...or if she's just a klutz (which she kind of is).

Ahhh, the joys of parenting.

Glamour Puss

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Pin It

Follow Me on Pinterest